January 17, 2020
We value your business and we know privacy is important to you. Accordingly, we have implemented this Privacy Notice which describes how we collect and use your personal information, what we do with the information collected, and how you can exercise your privacy rights.
Under EU data protection legislation, commonly known as the GDPR, Remora Backup is the controller of processing of personal information described below. With regard to the processing of files uploaded to our platform by our users when using our services, however, Remora is the processor and the person or organization owning the Remora account is the controller.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Information You Provide To Us
During your interaction with us for support or other communication purposes, you may choose to provide us with personal information when you email or submit a support ticket.
Information That We Collect Using Our System
In the use of our service for backup purposes, your backup data does not flow through our system directly. If using a backup plan other than one where you provide your own storage, your backup data will reside on Rsync.net’s servers in an encrypted format not accessible by them. While the content of your files may include personally identifiable information, both in the content of a file and in metadata, this Privacy Notice, as stated at the outset, only applies to the information collected in respect of your account and not to the content that you store on our system.
When you use a Remora Backup product, we may collect certain information about you and your usage of the system. This includes your app name, your Heroku contact address, your backup size, and your backup status. Collecting this information enables us to better support our products.
Information from Third Parties
We may collect additional information about you from third parties primarily to assist us in understanding how we can maintain and improve the services we offer to better serve you. Third party tools that we use for this are from: ZenDesk, which allows us to manage support needs; ConvertKit, which allows us to automate emails for new customers; and Google Analytics which informs us about page visits which in turn allows us to decide if it needs to update certain pages.
What We Do With Your Personal Info
Under no circumstances do we rent, trade or share your address or e-mail address with any other company for their marketing purposes without your consent. We may use the information we collect through our products for a number of reasons, including to:
- provide, operate, optimize and maintain our online platforms, products and services;
- understand how you use our products and customize your experience;
- set up online accounts;
- process, fulfill and provide any updates on online orders;
- send you marketing communications we think you’ll find valuable, where it is in accordance with your preferences;
- provide customer support via online chat services; deal with your online enquiries and requests sent by email; and provide you with information and access to resources or services that you have requested from us;
- improve the layout, navigation and content of our online products;
- identify any server problems or other IT or network issues;
- prevent abuse of the products and services we offer; and
- carry out other legitimate business purposes, such as to improve our products and services, as well as other lawful purposes about which we will notify our users and clients.
From time to time, Remora will communicate with you via email. There are two types of email you may receive:
- Service Emails: These are service related emails such as backup status, or a reply to a support issue. You cannot opt out of receiving these messages as they are part of the service which Remora provides to you. To stop receiving all Service Emails, you must remove Remora from your account.
- Marketing Emails: These will include company news, tips-and-tricks, service promotions (e.g., refer-a-friend) and similar types of material. You will be able to unsubscribe at any time by using the unsubscribe link provided in any given email.
We will only process personal information in ways that are compatible with the purpose we collected it for or for the purposes you later authorize. Before we use your personal information for a purpose that is materially different than the purpose we collected it for or that you later authorized, we will provide you with the opportunity to opt-out.
Who We Share Your Info With
We may share and disclose your personally identifiable information only in the limited circumstances described below:
- To vendors and other third party service providers who require access to your personal information to assist in providing and improving our products. The third parties that access and use your information only on our behalf include companies such as ConvertKit, Google Analytics, Slack, SendGrid, and ZenDesk. For example, we partner with SendGrid is used to communicate service emails to you; ConvertKit to send onboarding messages; and Zendesk is used to facilitate our customer support and online Chat service.
- We may also disclose your information to third parties: (a) where required by law or regulatory requirement, court order or other judicial authorization, (b) in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including for the purposes of meeting national security and law enforcement requirements; (c) in connection with the sale, transfer, merger, bankruptcy, restructuring or other reorganization of a business; (d) to protect or defend our rights, interests or property, or that of third parties; (e) to investigate any wrongdoing in connection with our products and services; and (f) to protect the vital interests of an individual.
- To any other person with your consent.
- Remora Backup has the ability to send your backup data to a custom server specified by the user on certain service tiers. When other systems hold and access your data and use your information, their conduct is governed by their own terms and policies.
- We may disclose aggregate, non-identifying information about how our users use Remora products.
International Data Transfers
Your personal information is stored and processed by us in the U.S. Specifically, your personal and non-personal information will be transferred to Remora for storage and processing in the U.S. Backup data on plans where we provide storage are stored in the U.S. Backup data on plans where you provide your own backup location are stored in the country your specified server resides.
Protection of Information
The security of your personal information is very important to us.
When you enter personal information such we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We use appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We will retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law, for legal, tax or regulatory reasons, or other lawful purposes.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
Changes to this Privacy Notice will be made when required in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the date displayed at the top of this Privacy Notice. The new Privacy Notice will apply to all current and past users of the website and will replace any prior notices that are inconsistent with it.